Welcome to the official web site for the St Peter Port lifeboat.
The Guernsey lifeboat station is one of only four in the Channel Islands. Operating for over 200 years, the crews of the Guernsey lifeboats have been honoured with several awards for gallantry.
The first Lifeboat Station on Guernsey was established at St Sampsons in 1803 following representation to the then States of Guernsey by the Douzaine (local parish council) of St Peter Port. The Station was taken over by the RNLI in 1861 and subsequently moved to St Peter Port, where it is presently based, in 1881.
The Station has seen a variety of lifeboats over the years and the current lifeboat is the Severn class ‘Spirit of Guernsey’. The Island has always been proud to support the Lifeboat Station and crews; in 1973 a special appeal raised a considerable sum towards the cost of the Arun Class “Sir William Arnold”.
Twenty years later an appeal was launched to raise £1 million to support the building of “Spirit of Guernsey”. Thanks to the generosity of friends in Guernsey, Sark, Herm and further afield, the target was achieved within one year.
The RNLI relies entirely on voluntary donations.
Records show that the Guernsey Lifeboats have been launched over 1,330 times and saved almost 600 lives. Guernsey can be extremely proud of the many Coxswains and crew who have accumulated a most impressive number of RNLI gallantry awards with no less than 2 Gold Medals, 8 Silver Medals and 15 Bronze Medals being awarded since 1861. There were also 6 Silver Medals awarded before the RNLI took over the Station. In addition, the bravery and skill of local crews have been recognised by several foreign Governments with awards from France, Norway, Greece and Liberia. This show of bravery is almost unparalleled by any other RNLI Station in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.
Registered Charity Number 209603 – for the Official RNLI web site, please visit www.rnli.org.uk